EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK
Salutations.
To say this week was eventful would be perhaps the greatest understatement ever made. I'm not quite sure where to begin, so for now I'll start with my address. I live at
122 Bronte St. S #328
Milton, ON
L9T 1Y9
(or L9T 1Z1, I've seen both)
Anyway since my apartment is on Bronte street I've decided to call it Wuthering Heights. The only reason that isn't the subject line will be revealed later in this email...
To begin, if I may, I drove to our new area with my new companion Elder Godfrey, who is from Syracuse. He does not talk much, but he is quite nice and genuine. Due to some personal things he was taking care of, I still haven't got to know him quite that much just yet, but I'm excited to serve with him. Anyway, he had me load my luggage into a car at transfers, we went inside and took care of some things, came back out, and lo and behold Elder Godfrey forgot which car was his. So before he actually had me load my luggage into a complete stranger's car. I quickly took out my luggage and we found the right car and loaded it into that one. Then, as we got in I asked what our new apartment's address was. He forgot that too. SOOOOO we had to call a bunch of people to find that address. For most of the day we were wandering Ontario hoping to find a place to rest our weary feet. As I was driving to a street near our area, I drove right up to the shore of Lake Ontario. I seriously drove right up onto the shore, it was quite interesting how quickly the road ended. This meant two things: 1) we were in our area. 2) I was looking at a really beautiful Lake that basically looked like the ocean because of how endless it was, and I could also see Toronto from there which was really nice.
We got to our apartment after a good chunk of the day, and then began my time as a shut in. Before I explain what happened there, our apartment is a relatively nice building, we drive a fun little ramp thing to get to our parking, and it is right by railroad tracks so when I hear the trains I think of my childhood in Helper which is nostalgic and delightful.
Erstwhile and again due to some personal circumstances Elder Godfrey needed to stay in the apartment for a some time. And by some time I mean three days. So I was inside, left to my one devices. Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, the apartment I moved into was quite possibly the most disgusting place I've ever seen in my life. The apartment itself was nice, it just had not been taken care of at all. Darn 19 year old missionaries. So I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. The first whole day was simply moving, reorganizing, and throwing away junk that had been lying around the apartment. Day two was actually deep cleaning: scrubbing, mopping, sweeping, etc.
AND THEN THE SINK.
So our kitchen sink was clogged. No worries, though, I found a chemical that cleans and unclogs pipes. So I poured that sucker down the drain. Still no dice. Food and all other unearthly things came out of the drain so I took a wire hanger and poked around down the drain to unclog what was there. Thinking I had solved the problem, that water and nastiness drained out. I went to the bathroom to finish up some cleaning there, then came back to a kitchen filled with water and all manner of filth. The pipe under the sink was so rusted I poked a hole straight through it. I got every towel and blanket available in the apartment, soaked up the mess, and just sat on the floor and laughed hysterically at how crazy my day had just been. Needless to say I called the apartment and they said someone would fix our sink but as of today we are still doing dishes in the bathroom. Not that we use many dishes though. I'm happy today is P day because we had no food. Pretty much zero. I did have some delightful strawberry rhubarb pie that had been left in the fridge though! Even though that's all that I ate for those 3 straight days, I actually really loved it and I'm kinda craving it so I think I might buy more today haha.
I haven't met a lot of people here or done a lot of missionary work just yet, but I am happy to be here and more faith filled than ever. Our ward mission leader here is pretty much the only person I've met, and he is super British and very very dedicated to missionary work which is wonderful.Oh and Elder Ng is in my district so I've been able to see him a lot which has been really fun! What a great guy haha. He's silly.
Thank you all for your support and feel free to write me at my new address! Next week I'll be going to Niagara Falls so I'll hopefully have some pictures to send to you within the next 2 weeks! The computer I'm on today doesn't have a way to send pictures so we'll see about next time. Keep me posted on all of your grand adventures! I love hearing about what everyone does at home.
Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment